Thursday, May 19, 2022

Assignment #5: A Plan

For assignment #5 we were required to write a story with lots of dialogue, starting with two female characters, Eve and Jane, having an argument in their apartment.

A Plan

“Where were you last night?” Eve glowered at Jane, her arms locked tight across her plain white blouse. “I was worried.”

“Gimmie a break Eve. Jesus, I just got in!”

“Give me a break. I almost called the police. You could have told me you’d be out all night. Were you out with that lowlife Craig again?”

“You don’t know Craig. And for fuck’s sake, you’re not my keeper. We’re roommates, not lovers, so back off.”

Eve’s eyes stared fiercely at the younger woman facing her. “There’s no reason to be rude Jane. I was just concerned. I woke up around 4 and saw the door to your room was open and you weren’t there. You know—” 

Jane cut her off with a wave of her hand. “We’ve been through this before Eve. What I choose to do in my free time is my business, not yours. Same goes for who I wanna hang out with, day or night.” 

“Yes but…” This time Eve silenced herself, knowing from painful past experience her roommate wasn’t in the mood to listen. “If only—”

“If only I called. If only I left a goddamn note. If only I was more responsible, like you. Well piss off Eve, I’m tired. And I’ve got a frigging headache. Ya got any Tylenols?”

“There’s some in the bathroom cabinet I think. But maybe you shouldn’t…” 

The look on Jane’s face at that moment sent a clear and very menacing message, and the conversation ended abruptly. Several hours passed before Jane emerged from her room, wearing only a man’s XXL sized red plaid shirt. 

“I’m making tea Jane,” Eve called from the kitchen, “would you like some?”

 “I need something stronger than bloody tea,” Jane muttered to herself. “We got any beer?”

“Sorry? Did you say please?” Eva replied, as she turned to face Jane, forcing what was too discernibly a fake smile.

“No! I asked if we had any beer. Is there any wine?”

“Jane, you know I don’t drink, so there’s no point in asking me. You had a big bottle of red wine last week, what happened to that?”

“What happened!? What the fuck do you think happened? I drank it!”

“Well have some tea then, and we can talk. In a civil way. Without anger and accusations, okay?”

Jane smirked at the stern looking woman standing holding a tea cup, wondering how the hell they ever ended up sharing an apartment. The answer was quite simple; Jane called a number posted on a bulletin board in the Safeway on Robson Street, and when they met over coffee she dressed and behaved just as she expected the lease holder would want. As an aspiring actress, Jane was very proud of her performance.

“Eve, I know you’re a little pissed because I’m behind in my share of the rent, but I’ll fix that, don’t worry. Craig and I have a plan.”

“Craig has a plan? I thought you said Craig was sleeping on a friend’s sofa somewhere, what possible plan could he have I wonder?”

Jane, sitting with her feet on Eve’s prized coffee table, raised her eyes and glared. “Craig’s getting his own place as soon as we’ve sold — as soon as we’re done. You’ll get your money then.”

“Sold? Sold what?” asked Eve, with a puzzled expression.

“I didn’t mean sold. Never mind. Anyway, Craig can explain, he’s on his way over. Try and be nice to him. I know you don’t like him, but you don’t know him like I do.”

“Was this why you were out all night, dreaming up some scheme?”

Before Jane could reply, the intercom buzzed. “Come in!” Jane shouted, as she pressed the enter key.

“Hey ladies!” greeted the cheerful young man as he strode through the open door, “what’s happening?”

Eve forced a smile. “Jane tells me you have a plan,” she queried, “she seemed quite excited about it. Do tell.”

“Did she really?” chuckled Craig. “Well that’s good, because she was worried you wouldn’t understand. I’m glad you’re in on it now.”

“In on what?” Eve interjected in a high pitched voice, “I don’t even know what you’re talking about!”

“I didn’t have time to tell her,” Jane explained, “she doesn’t know anything yet.”

“Well someone better tell me. And I don’t at all like hearing ‘I’m in on it’ when I have no idea what this is all about.”

“It’s quite simple, Eve,” Craig staled confidently, “We want to pay back the rent Jane owes you, and not only that, we want to double it, or maybe even triple it, as a thank you.”

“I don’t understand what’s going on. I told Jane she could start paying me back when she’s working full-time hours again. I wasn’t asking for interest or anything else. I find it very strange that you’d come here offering to double or triple my money, when you don’t appear to have any of your own.”

“Eve, be nice. Craig’s found something he’s really good at. He’s already proved it. He knows what he’s doing, there’s no risk if you join in. He can guarantee that, I promise.”

“No risk? It sounds like you’re asking me to invest money, my money, in your venture. So what’s the name of this ‘business’ of yours?”

“One word, Eve, just one word. Cryptocurrency!” beamed Craig. “Your savings are getting next to nothing sitting in the bank. I can take that same money, convert it to cryptocurrency, and with 24 hours you’ll have already turned a significant profit. The longer you leave it in my hands, the greater your return!”

“You can’t lose,” Jane chimed in, “that’s why we were celebrating last night. I’m sorry I was a little rude this morning, I just needed some time to get my head straight. I wanted to share our great news with you, but knew Craig could explain it better to you, in person.”

Eve looked from one to the other, visibly astonished. “You’re serious? Craig here figures he can win at this game, with my money, just like that? Like really you expect me to say please and thank you?”

“Eve, I’ve tried this on my computer already. Last night I had amassed almost one million in Bitcoin, just from making deals, buying and selling. If I had been using some real money to actually buy and sell, that gain would be real, and we’d be rich today.”

“Exactly!” echoed Jane, “we’d be rich right now! So if you loan Craig even just 3 or 4 thousand, he can pay you back 5 thousand by next week probably.”

Eve continued to stare at the two of them, nodding her head slowly from side to side. Finally, she spoke.

“While you were celebrating last night, I don’t suppose either of you had time to follow the news? It turns out this cryptocurrency was the top story, and still is today.”

“What are you talking about?” snapped Jane, annoyed that her stodgy roommate didn’t seem to appreciate their good fortune.

“I’m talking about the collapse of Bitcoin, dear. The crypto market crash yesterday. The $270 billion loss, at last count.” Eve didn’t try to hide the mocking tone in her voice. “How much was Craig going to ask me to invest, with his sure thing guarantee?” 

“Bitch!” shouted Jane. “You’re a miserable nasty woman! You’ve never had a dream in your life, and you never will! Fuck you!”

“Craig, let’s get the fuck out of here. She doesn’t know what she’s talking about, she just doesn’t want anyone to be happy. She’s a loser.”

Craig remained silent, and crestfallen. He’d heard a rumour, but had kept it to himself. No sense in disappointing Jane, he knew what she was like when things weren’t going her way. Eve stood motionless, watching them leave, her facial expression seemingly both sad and smug.


No comments: