Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas in Captivity

It’s Christmas Eve as I write this, a relaxing day I’ve devoted to reading mediation blogs, thanks largely to the efforts Diane Levin, who has done an incredible job of pulling together so many ADR resources in such a user friendly manner! I was thrilled when she replied promptly last week to my request to have ‘A Mediator’s Calling’ listed on The World Directory of Alternative Dispute Resolution Blogs, and even more excited when I discovered it was already posted and accessible from the Reading Room where every blog entry can be read without ever having to leave the site. I’ve been a podcaster since April 2005, but still feel like a newbie to the blogging world, and until now, somewhat of an outsider. Diane’s warm welcome went a long way towards making me feel at home here, much the way fellow podcasters gave me the boost I needed to keep going in those pioneering days. It takes time to find one’s natural voice, but with every new blog entry I’m starting to gain more confidence and enjoy being a member of this online ADR community.

What’s prompted me to write today is a story from today's Toronto Star which filled me with sadness. It is the tragic account of Ingrid Betancourt, a Columbia woman who was kidnapped by the FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) almost six year ago, and is being held prisoner in the remote jungle under very difficult conditions, often shackled to other prisoners by the neck because of earlier attempts to escape. She campaigned against corruption and the drug cartels, and has paid a heavy price for her bravery. I know little about her other than what I have just researched online, but the recent photograph proving she is still alive speaks volumes. Her birthday is Christmas Day, and I will take a few moments out from our own joyous celebrations to think of her and all the other unfortunate victims held unjustly around the world, separated so cruelly from their loved ones. I am sure there are many people exploring peaceful creative ways to get her and others released; let’s hope they find success before it’s too late.

1 comment:

Diane Levin said...

Ken, I'm sorry that I'm late in discovering this post! Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad to hear that you found a warm welcome here in this corner of the blogosphere. Definitely looking forward to hearing more from you after the holidays!

With best wishes for a happy new year,

Diane