Sunday, December 16, 2007

Now and Zen

Forgive the pun, but that’s exactly what the topic is today; the art of being fully cognizant of and responsive to the present moment. Mediators will remember from their training that one of the most important skills to learn, practice and demonstrate to other parties is how to be an active listener. There is often a tendency to be thinking about the next question to ask, or imagining what the other party’s version of events might be, or a phone call you have to make, or to mentally wander off with any number of stray thoughts. Just as meditators know they should bring themselves back to their mantra when their concentration drifts, mediators must also try to stay tuned in to and be at one with the present moment. This means being aware of body language, the emotional state of the speaker, the subtle changes in voice, and all the other nuances that convey true meaning. Stop, look, and listen.

My interest in Beat literature (Kerouac and Ginsberg) inevitably lead me to read more about Buddhism, and Zen in particular. Whenever I find myself on the down side of a mood swing, I select a book from the dozens I’ve collected, and never fail to find solace in those simple words of wisdom which offer an entirely new perspective to life. The message always comes back to the catch phrase popularized by Baba Ram Dass (formerly psychologist and Timothy Leary cohort, Richard Alpert): ‘Be Here Now.’ It’s the secret to a satisfying life, so simple, and yet so difficult to follow, except during rare and enlightened moments. To quote an anonymous sage, “In Zen, the important thing is to stop the course of the mind.” I mention this because there have been times during mediations when I’ve had that sense of being at one with everything happening in the room, living completely in the moment. The experience comes about not from any attempt on my part to practice Zen teachings, but from a conscious effort to be an active listener, fully aware of every word spoken, every pause, every expression. If I can train myself to be here now more often, I may become a better mediator.

Many do not know that we are here in this world to live in harmony.
— Buddha

No comments: